has a huge blog about science and diseases in a perspective that relate to HOPE Shortcut
She is Trauma and chronic diseases speaker
I’m a primary care doctor who left medicine because I felt I was causing harm and wanted to find a better way.
I retrained and specialized as a trauma therapist and started discovering large bodies of highly respected research that I’d never heard of in medical school.
I blog so those with chronic illness, like me, as well as other health care professionals, can get the facts without having to wait for medical care to catch up.
I have been testing the science and tools for healing trauma with my own debilitating illness. I’ve seen it help clients, colleagues, readers and others too. It is the most powerful tool I’ve found when other things don’t wor
Adversity Shapes Health
The science is catching up to what we know from personal experience, which is that trauma affects our biology, our physiology, our bodies and minds. These effects are not psychological or from “negative thinking.”
Cell Danger Response
Adversity and support influence threat responses in cells. This strengthens or weakens defense pathways over time. Cell danger responses can get stuck & recover.
The Nervous system
Life events weaken or strengthen defense pathways for survival. Nervous systems can get caught in threat responses to cause chronic illness. Healing can happen over time
Let’s Improve Health – and Health Care
My passion is to share the research I never knew in my medical career with others, including health care professionals.
- I want people with chronic illness to know about the research explaining how symptoms and disease may not be as incurable as we’ve thought. That the science is discovering it’s about more than the genes we inherit and cannot change.
- I want you to realize there are helpful tools that can make a difference. That you don’t have to wait until medicine figures it out or catches up with the science.
- I want you to know it’s not you fault, not because you are weak, and not because you are “wanting attention.”
- I want to stop the blame and the judgement and the trauma that medical care often causes.
- I also want to help inform medicine and medical schools. My long term vision is for people with symptoms and their clinicians to work together to find better solutions, as a team.
We need to incorporate the new science in training for all health care professionals, and to incorporate it in education for everyone at all ages. This is how we can start to prevent and decrease the suffering.